January 16, 2024
When you’re thinking about building and shaping your company culture, you might be tempted to go along with the trends of online business and offer your team allll the flexibility they “want.”
But what we’re actually seeing is that too much flexibility isn’t actually as rewarding for people to work within as we may think. Turns out, people don’t just need structure to thrive at work—they actually want it. Excessive flexibility can shake the very foundation your team needs to grow and excel, leading to some unexpected pitfalls.
In this week’s episode, we’re talking about why people need guardrails (which come in the form of direct and concise policies and procedures) in order for you to get an ROI on your hire. We’ll explore the concept of ‘toxic flexibility’—what it is, why it’s a problem, and how you can steer clear of it. Plus, we’re balancing the scales by discussing
Tune in to learn:
- The 2 most common scenarios where toxic flexibility shows up
- The importance of mixing in a bit of ‘old school’ with the new flex trends
- What an ‘intrapraneur’ is and how to avoid making hiring mistakes
- What one statistic tells us about how people prefer to work
- The 2 key steps you can take as a CEO to avoid toxic flexibility in your company culture
As a CEO, it’s crucial to navigate these waters carefully. So, we’re wrapping things up with two essential steps you can take to keep ‘toxic flexibility’ out of your company culture.