March 8, 2023
I’m so excited to share my conversation with Steph Weber of The Weber Co., a full-service branding and marketing company. Steph focuses primarily on helping entrepreneurs and small business owners develop a clear, authentic brand and a marketing strategy to support it.
Steph and I covered a lot of ground, from branding and marketing to being a good boss. We also talked about building a healthy culture in your company and what that means when it’s time to pivot your business or let an employee go.
This episode includes several critical topics, whether you’re getting ready to hire your first employee or shrinking your team as you shift your business in a different direction:
- Fostering the culture you want: It’s so important to share your vision with your employees and allow them to take ownership of their work.
- Understanding the connection between your team and your clients: How you manage your team directly impacts how you serve your clients.
- Pivoting through business changes: You (and your business) can’t be all things to all people, so decide how to move forward in the direction you want.
- Being a good leader: Check in with your employees regularly, and treat them like humans. When you show up for them, they can show up for you.
- Terminating employees with respect: Once you know it’s time to let someone go, be honest and respectful.
- Growing your team: Know when it’s time to hire an employee and when it’s better to rely on contractors.
- Hiring mistakes: Don’t wait too long to hire, but make sure you’re only hiring when you need to.
- Communicating well: Building trust with your team means giving helpful evaluations and respecting your employees’ lives outside of work.
- Becoming a better employer: You will make mistakes, but what’s more important is that you’re accountable and willing to learn from them.
Steph and I talk about exactly what it means to build, grow, pivot, and restructure a small business. We’ve both seen the common mistakes that entrepreneurs make (and we’ve made them ourselves!), and we’ve got tips to help you avoid those pitfalls.
Have you ever had to pivot your business? What do you think it means to build a healthy culture, even when you have to let an employee go? Let me know — tag @theparadigmm or send me a DM on Instagram! And don’t forget to review and share this episode with any small business owners you know.
The Paradigm Blog Post: What’s Really Stopping You From Hiring (& How to Overcome It)
The Paradigm Blog Post: Terminating an Under-Performing Employee
BRANDED! Podcast Episode 105 Featuring Kira: How your brand can help you become an employer of choice and a better boss with Kira La Forgia
Find Steph Weber here: