February 8, 2023
Even with the best training, resources, and management in the world, your employees will need feedback. Sometimes, that feedback is hard to give. Whether it’s telling them they need to provide higher quality work, you want to address their behavior, or you have to let them go… you will eventually have a difficult conversation with employees.
I’ve been there and it sucks. But as an HR professional (and as someone who’s been through years of therapy), I’m sharing a few things you can do to make those hard conversations suck less for everyone involved.
We talk about:
- Why you can’t ignore difficult conversations
- When to bring up an issue with an employee (Spoiler alert: ASAP!)
- How to be a trustworthy manager
- Why HR documentation is essential (It’s more than just a CYA measure)
I’m here to help you address issues as they arise, so you can avoid letting things fester in your team culture or in your productivity. Listen in if you need to have a difficult conversation with an employee or team member — without the stress and tears.
When you have to have a difficult conversation with an employee, think of it as an opportunity, not a hindrance. Understanding the reasons behind a behavior that caused the difficult conversation in the first place makes us better leaders, better managers, and better people.
Don’t forget to share this episode with any small business owners you know, and leave us a review! Screenshot and share your review and tag us @theparadigmm on Instagram!
Whatever you do, don’t show up for a tough conversation without a plan.
Access our shortcut to better management through the links below in our template shop. As we talked about in the episode, even taking a moment to center yourself and set an objective for the conversation can make all the difference in an improving employee, a costly termination, or even a lawsuit.
Let’s go Shopping 🛍️
- Performance Improvement Plan Template https://settoscale.com/products/performance-improvement-plan-template
- Conversation Prep Form: https://settoscale.com/products/conversation-prep-form
- Conversation Log: https://settoscale.com/products/conversation-log